The Board of Education approved the 2017-18 and 2018-19 conventional school year calendars at its meeting on Jan. 17 based on recommendations by the APS Calendar Committee. The committee was comprised of school staff, parents and administrative staff.
Some 2017-18 calendar highlights include:
- First Day of School:
Aug. 8 - Grades 6-12
Aug. 10 - Grades 1-5
Aug. 14 - Kindergarten and Preschool
Note: Please check with your school for specific dates.
- Eliminating Late-Start Wednesdays and Aligning Professional Release Days: P-8, K-8, middle and high schools will no longer have late-start Wednesdays. All APS schools will have the same Professional Release Days (marked in purple on the calendars) for staff professional development. This will consist of six early release days and one full day.
- Fall and Winter Breaks: Fall and winter breaks will occur one week later than they do on this year’s calendar. Fall break begins Oct. 16 with students returning Oct. 23; winter break begins Dec. 25 with students returning Jan. 8.
- Preschool Schedule: Starting next year, preschool students will attend classes Monday-Thursday for four consecutive days to optimize their learning.
- Last Day of School: The school year ends for most students on Thursday, May 24. Last day of school for preschool students is on Wednesday, May 23. Please check with your school for specific dates.
- Elimination of Year-Round Calendar Option: The APS Calendar Committee also explored options for a four-track year-round calendar as a contingency plan to address enrollment and capacity challenges at P-8 and K-8 schools east of Buckley Road. With the passage of the 2016 bond measure in November, APS is no longer considering the year-round calendar option at this time.
- 2017-18 & 2018-19 District Conventional Calendars in Other Languages