APS History Highlights
Coal Creek | William Smith | Crawford | Board of Education | High Schools | Where are they now?

A Brief History of APS High Schools

Prior to 1931, Aurora high school students attended East High School in Denver. Students rode the trolley on Colfax Avenue that had turn-arounds at Dallas and Geneva streets.

Special thanks to Robert Rynerson of RTD


Photo courtesy of the Aurora History Museum

The first Aurora Public Schools high school was built in 1931 at 13th and Florence. The building is still used today as part of the West Middle School campus.

In 1933 the trolley service was cut back possibly because Aurora students no longer needed to travel to Denver to attend high school.


Photo courtesy of the Aurora History Museum
In 1950, a new building on the same site opened as Aurora High School. This building is now West Middle School.
The first class graduated from the new high school at 11th and Newark in 1956.

Photo courtesy of the Aurora History Museum
In 1963, Hinkley High School was built and Aurora High School was renamed Aurora Central High School.

 

 

Special thanks to former APS Principals Rolla Risseler and John Dale


Photo courtesy of the Aurora History Museum