Secondary Standards-Based Grade Reporting
Research and Development Group Roles and Goals
When originally developing a plan to implement SBG in our secondary schools in 2008, APS formed a research and development group with the following roles and goals:
- What is the role (purpose) of the SS-BGR Research and Development Group?
- Research a secondary standards-based reporting system to align grading and standards as measured by consistent and accurate student achievement data and common criteria for grading.
- Lead and support the continuous and systematic alignment with the entire leadership and feedback groups.
- Ensure the alignment on the end result with the VISTA 2010 vision.
- Make final recommendations to the superintendent.
- What is the role (purpose) of Feedback/Work Groups (Cabinet, Principals, Content Areas, AEA, Parents, Community, Higher Education, Diverse Learners, Students, and Counselors)?
- Provide information and systematic feedback to the Research and Development Group.
- Align with and build upon standards-based work already in progress.
- What are the goals of the Research and Development and Feedback Groups?
- Develop and use a communication plan to ensure systematic alignment with all stakeholders in order to meet parent and student expectations for communication regarding student learning as measured by parent and student satisfaction results.
- Develop a clear and specific proposal for how the end product looks.
- Develop clear and specific professional development and implementation plans.
- Monitor and manage the change process and transitional phases through systematic feedback.
- Develop an evaluation plan that includes both formative and summative components.
“The development of a secondary standards-based grading system is a process, not an event.”
-Charlotte Butler, Secondary Literacy Instructional Coordinator