I would like to share two important decisions the APS Board of Education made at its meeting last night.
As we have shared with you over the past several years, Blueprint APS is the district’s long-term plan to create more district-run college and career choice options. The plan seeks to bring intentionality and equity to how APS directs its resources to serve families. To accomplish this, APS will need to repurpose buildings throughout the district. Our initial focus for repurposing recommendations was for regions 2,3 and 6. Thank you for your patience and dedication as we work to fulfill our community’s Blueprint APS vision for the future.
During its meeting on 1/19/2021, the Board approved the following Blueprint APS recommendations:
- Construct a new P-8 school in the Green Valley Ranch-Gaylord region (tentatively planned to open for the 2023-24 school year)
- Construct a new educational facility (potential magnet) in the new Horizon development (tentatively planned to open for the 2024-25 school year)
- Replace Lyn Knoll Elementary School with a new boundary P-8 school (close Lyn Knoll at the end of the 2020-21 school year) (plan to open new P-8 school in the 2023-24 school year)
- Repurpose Sixth Avenue Elementary School for an alternative use (effective for the 2023-24 school year)
- Repurpose South Middle School for an alternative use (transition begins in the 2021-22 school year and is complete after current South students transition to high school for the 2023-24 school year)
- Realign elementary and middle school attendance areas
- Repurpose Century Elementary School for an alternative use (close Century at the end of the 2020-21 school year) (repurposing begins 2021-22 school year)
- Realign elementary school attendance areas
To support this work, the Board approved the reallocation of the 2016 Bond Contingency Budget (approximately $72.3 million).
It is important to note that there are two additional construction projects already in progress that are part of the 2016 bond program:
- Partially replace and remodel East Middle School (in process)
- Remodel Virginia Court Elementary School (in process)
In addition, district leaders are also planning to convert two schools into magnet schools as part of Blueprint APS implementation:
- Repurpose Peoria Elementary School, Educational Services Center 4 and Aurora Central High School as a K-12 Magnet Campus in the Visual Design & Performing Arts region (scheduled to open for the 2022-23 school year)
- Repurpose Wheeling Elementary School as a magnet school in the Entrepreneurship & Invention region (effective for the 2022-23 school year)
We have shared our plans with parents/guardians and staff members from affected schools in these regions.
2021-22 District Calendar Approved by BOE
The Board also approved the 2021-22 district conventional calendar. Below are a few highlights for the 2021-22 school year:
- First Days of School: Students in grades 1-12 will have a simultaneous start on Aug. 12. As we have done in the past, preschool and Kindergarten students will start school the following week on Aug. 18.
- Fall Break: APS will have a three-day Fall Break held Oct. 13-15, with Oct. 13 slated as a student non-contact day and teacher work day. It occurs at the end of the first quarter to ensure uninterrupted learning. Please note that Oct. 18 is also slated as a student non-contact day and teacher work day.
- Thanksgiving Break: As with the current school year, APS will maintain a full week of Thanksgiving Break for students, which will be held Nov. 22-26.
- Winter Break: APS will continue to hold Winter Break at the end of December and the beginning of January. It will be held Dec. 17-Jan. 3, with Dec. 17 and Jan. 3 slated as student non-contact days and teacher work days.
- Spring Break: APS will hold Spring Break March 11-18, with March 11 being a student non-contact day. It occurs at the end of the third quarter to ensure uninterrupted learning.
Please note that APS will use this calendar regardless of whether APS is back to fully in-person learning or if we remain in a remote, hybrid or cohort learning model. Visit aurorak12.org/calendars to view this calendar and individual school calendars.
Thank you for your support as we work together to ensure that every student shapes a successful future.
- Superintendent Rico Munn